Thursday, March 24, 2016

A Personal Note From Partner, Ed Nitkewicz

         Advocate For Your Children!
 I have been a personal injury attorney since 1992 when I was admitted to practice law in New York.  Since then, I have represented scores of people who were injured in automobile accidents, through medical negligence and from product defect. I have tried complex cases before juries  in both the Federal and State Courts of New York.

Notwithstanding my resume, I was unprepared for my most important case ever: representing my own son on the Committee for Preschool Special Education for the South Huntington School District.

You see, my son Edward was diagnosed with Autism in early 2001.  After he was diagnosed, I was emotionally devastated and cared little about acronyms such as IDEA, CPSE, CSE, LRE, or IEP. Instead, I wanted my son to be "all better."  I wanted to believe the speech teacher who told me that there was a little boy wrapped up inside this "shell" who just needed a little help getting out. I wanted him to have every treatment and therapy he was entitled to have as soon as he was supposed to have them. And I was angry that my poor child was developmentally disabled, angry enough to nearly alienate anyone from the education team who dared utter the word "no" to me.

All parents of children diagnosed with autism or other developmental disability grapple with fear and anger over not just the disability but the overwhelming process of securing services for our children. Many parents fight with their school districts. Others sit quietly relying on the special education process to provide for their child. In almost all instances, we worry that we are not doing enough for our children.

 
When do I need an attorney or an advocate for my child?

Hiring an advocate or attorney costs money. However, when communication has broken down between you and the district, consultation with a quality advocate or attorney can help you avoid further litigation (and the cost of it). This is often accomplished by bridging a communication impasse or by teaching you techniques to harness your emotions and to concisely ask for what you believe is most appropriate for your child's unique needs. You can always call The Sanders Firm for a consultation: 1.800.FAIR.PLAY

No comments:

Post a Comment